Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

One of my clients recently was discharged from the adolescent psychiatry unit after his first psychotic/manic episode. He was fortunate to have teachers at the unit who helped him continue with his studies in a limited way while he was an inpatient. Because these teachers specialize in supporting clients from the unit, they are aware of how to help youth learn when their cognition, attention, and energy are impacted. These teachers also provided feedback to the client, his regular school, and the family when he was discharging so that a thoughtful approach to reintegration into the school environment was on everyone’s mind. They suggested starting with one class, and slowly increasing as the client felt able. Luckily the school was very supportive of whatever pace or reintegration supported this young man best.

The client is now very quickly wanting to increase his attendance at school. He is bored at home, and there are some concerns that his isolation and boredom may increase his urges to use cannabis. Because the psychiatric unit did a great job of discussing approaching reintegration cautiously, while also keeping client desires/input in mind, it feels like the school, family, and client are able to have open discussions on the pros and cons of increasing school attendance while looking for signs that it may or may not be going well. I feel like providing psychoeducation to the family and client, while also hearing their concerns and desires is crucial to having everyone approach reintegration in a way that is balanced and effective.

That sounds like a great example of successful re-integration where the community of supports collaborate to provide best care for the client, with a client centered approach. All clients are different in how they approach reintegration, I think providing them with resources, and matching their interest can set up the client for successful outcome.

Bart, I was also similarly going to discuss reintegration as a graded approach, I have found when supporting clients to return to vocational or school pursuits that starting with a decreased demand and then progressing up the challenge is supportive. Approaching it with the ‘just right’ lens in a client centered way, such as just starting with meeting with a counsellor at school first for an hour, and then working their way up to spending time in the classroom, has worked well with clients I have worked with. I also think we need to have a lens towards how we can modify or advocate for the environment to meet our clients needs to support their participation and performance within these spaces (i.e. to meet their sensory needs).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.