Hi Cameron and Sarah!

I totally agree about giving the client the “out” in terms of declining to talk about it. Yes, it’s potentially derailing, but if talking about difficulties leads the client closer to dissociating, that’s derailing as well. As the assessor, I’d also be taking note of the topics the client names as a problem that they don’t want to discuss, as it will be one of my long-term goals to process with them once we’ve widened their therapeutic window of tolerance.

I’ve been thinking about the recent developments with the Brief Child and Family Phone Interview to make the questions more client-centred and how it compares to the 2-COM. Since I work with much younger clients, I am usually working with their caregivers and other members of their care team. Looking at the 2- COM, I realize it’s probably difficult for a caregiver to parse out if my client is feeling tense, lonely, or upset, especially when referrals are usually based on behaviours that the care team finds problematic and would like to stop, rather than examine the function of that behaviour and how it could relate to struggles with mental health. Things to ponder when I’m speaking with care providers and with the client themselves.