Thanks for opening this discussion Paige – I agree with many the points raised (i.e. “family” means something different to everyone, there are benefits and risks to consider when family are involved, outcomes are statistically better when families are involved, managing within conflicting beliefs and values of families that may not align with a medical model). I also know that as a clinician working for the health authority that we need families. We cannot possibly provide what families commonly provide (i.e. wraparound care, unconditional positive regard, lifelong support) and there are so many gaps within our system that families, no matter what that means to the client, are vital to the survival and recovery of the client. In that regard, caring for the families alongside the client is essential, ensuring that they have what they need emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually to provide care for their loved one. Reading through the principles of the EPI model, it seems to me that this regard for families is evident. I wonder about how to ensure this in practice.