Hi Everyone,

Interesting comments about the explanatory model! I can appreciate what you all have said and how the explanations of some families can be a detriment to the client’s treatment. During my practicum on EPI this winter there were plenty of examples from clinicians that are consistent with what has been posted here. The only thing I would add is that I think the explanatory model of families and clients can be useful in terms of the information gathering process as well as learning any relevant history leading up to the client’s symptoms of psychosis. It also informs us about who the family is (e.g., cultural perspectives, religious beliefs, etc.) and how they view psychosis and mental health in general as well as what they believe will help their loved one. The explanatory model is also important because it tells clinicians what the family believes is the cause of their loved ones psychotic symptoms, as this information could be highly relevant to engaging the client but also determining an appropriate treatment plan, especially if substance use and other psychosocial stressors are involved.

Rob