Hi Everyone – I have come across very similar circumstances in regards to client family beliefs surrounding medication. I typically will try and stay away from broadcasting my opinions on medication, affects and dosages with families simply because I’m not a psychiatrist, psych nurse or GP and don’t feel confident asserting an idea in that capacity. I’m a counsellor and my expertise and work related passions are elsewhere. I assume the role as a vessel of communication when it comes to medication adherence. I inform families of the information given to them via psychiatry and health professionals and try to let them make their own informed decisions. Sometimes I’ll support the decision making process by reviewing or hypothesizing outcomes should a family not consent to medication for their child for various reasons. My experience is that parents and caregivers seem to reconsider their perspective and choices after several safety related incidents occur whereby they understand their child could have seriously harmed themselves or others.