Reply To: 2-Com: Plain Language toward Destigmatization

Hi, I work on an ICMT team vs ACT, so I’ve not used 2-COM before either. I think we likely share some similar experiences with trying to use assessment tools like 2-COM. Even though 2-COM is more straightforward and plain-languaged than others, we often don’t get a chance to go through the list of questions during our brief engagements with clients (sometimes just 3-4 minutes before they shut the door on us). For our clients who use substances and experience homelessness/housing precarity, it’s difficulty to imagine getting more than 3-4 questions in sometimes. More over, folks who use stimulants in particular often seemed to be sensitized to common questions and phrasing alluding to or trying to assess postive symptoms of psychosis. While not de-stigmatized, the language of psychosis is definitely more prevalent now, and often taken out of their clinical context and meaning. I often finding myself focusing on asking clients (1) “what are your four immediate prioriities/goals” and (2) asking for subjective qualitative changes to their everyday between now and the previous engagement as the client’s basic needs are often not met.