Home – NEW Forums Module 8 – Groups & Reintegration Fall 2023 How reintegration can look so different for our clients Reply To: How reintegration can look so different for our clients

Hi Kade and Grace,

I absolutely agree that in my practice/experience the importance (and impacts) of community and relational supports for clients are pivotal in their reintegration and recovery journey. I work with many unhoused, or precariously housed youth (e.g., ageing out of foster care or living in supportive housing or intermittent couch surfing) who have experienced their first (or second) episode of psychosis and are working through barriers of access to medical care, housing, education, employment as well as trying to stay connected to family, or friends and loved ones who have become their family. I have also worked with youth who have supportive and loving families, communities and homes – and their experiences are opposite. As a clinician I do my best to centre the young person, and gather as much supports as I can (sometimes this is easy and sometimes it is very difficult) to create a network of care so that they know who they can contact and connect with about their specific goals (whether this is housing, education, medication, counselling etc.,). I have found in my work that I have met with the youth several times to discuss their goals, wants and needs and then prioritize what we need to address first – for some this is school, and that means I will often connect with school supports (such as the school counsellor, principal) to discuss a flexible return to school schedule, this has been similar with employment though often youth want to do this on their own and we may work out a script of how to ask for a gradual return to work to support their wellness. However, in the case of those who do not have family or community supports, they are not likely going to be wanting a return to work or school but instead need housing or treatment planning – and I do my best to navigate advocating for what they need (housing is one of the most important supports – I cannot argue more that access to safe and affordable housing is the biggest barrier to mental health and substance use – I have seen great positive impacts for those who obtained secure housing and I have seen huge losses for those who do not have housing).

Angela