Home – NEW Forums Module 6 – Comorbidity & Relapse Fall 2023 Motivational Interviewing (& Right to Die) Reply To: Motivational Interviewing (& Right to Die)

Great post, Holly. I’m with Victoria- prioritizing building a therapeautic relationship is such a key component when faced with a need to address any behaviour or choices a client is making that is a detriment to themselves! In these situations I lean on the Transtheoretical Model/Stages of Change theory to guide my approach with someone. If they are in precontemplation, they will not be receptive to any sort of pressures to change behaviour. Instead, meeting them where they are at and showing them that you see and respect this choice, will go a long way. Once that relationship is built, I have introduced education after carefully prefacing with something like “I know that this isn’t something you are interested in changing at this time, but I wanted to give you a little bit of information about _____”. I make certain to acknowledge the benefits they are receiving from the substance use then offer some of the ways in which it is harmful for them. Giving a balanced approach is usually more well received in precontemplative folks. Like other’s mentioned, really exploring what their use does for them is pertinent. This must be conducted from a genuinely curious and non-judgemental perspective. Following the Motivational Interviewing OARS skills will help in gathering their thoughts on substance use and find some potential motivation to change.