Reply To: Motivational Interviewing (& Right to Die)

Home – NEW Forums Module 6 – Comorbidity & Relapse Fall 2023 Motivational Interviewing (& Right to Die) Reply To: Motivational Interviewing (& Right to Die)

Hi Holly;
I appreciate how you discuss the obligations to balance safety and respect for autonomy. In respect to youth, especially when experiencing psychosis, it is important to ensure safety through practice and follow local policies and procedures. I think harm reduction and motivational interviewing as key players in long term safety in substance use, though ensuring immanent safety first.

I really like how you describe working alongside the client, exploring their goals and needs, asking the client what is helpful (or not).
I think treatment is only effective if it is client centered, I enjoy how motivational interviewing can be very catered to be person specific.
Working with youth in my own experience has been eye opening in regards to how often their voices can be over took from adults in their life, I believe in youth services it is so important to focus on the youth and their needs in their care journey.
In regards to EPI care I do think including the family is key, thus hopefully providing education, harm education, and using motivational interviewing skills with both parties while still holding the client goals and needs at the center of care.
In regards to right to die I think there are many pieces that come into play including if the person has the capability to consent, their wellness, while respecting autonomy, as well as many other individual factors, I think ethics and specific situation largely impact this topic. It is hard to have a general consensus. I appreciate your thought around being one part of someone’s journey, I think this is true and as care providers we try to do the best to support the person to their goals within our role, remaining neutral in our potential own biases.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Holly.