Hi Holly,
I would definitely agree that this tool aligns well with trauma-informed practice. It provides so much choice and autonomy for clients in an easy to use and non-intimidating way. I very much appreciate the plain language but also the way in which they can identify an issue but table it for a later discussion. It allows them to let us know about an issue but also identify that it isn’t yet the right time to explore it. This practice develops a sense of respect.
Lately, I’ve been working with a client who has many very pressing needs and she can be quite tangential. I have started working with her to create an agenda for our meetings and work together to stick to it, otherwise she brings a number of new issues to each session that take over our time and we end up missing items that we had hoped to cover. While I have not used the 2-Com tool yet, I can see how it could be helpful for clients like her, who may present with so many complex needs that preparing for and scheduling time for each topic ensures we can make the best use of our time. I intend to use this for her specifically as we work on addressing her basic needs, but she can perhaps complete this independently to identify any mental health issues that have changed/arisen.