Reply To: Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams

Home – NEW Forums Module 4 – Client and Family Education Fall 2023 Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams Reply To: Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams

Hi all,

It is so hard to work with families when there is an underlying sense of “us versus them” when it comes to treatment for their loved one, or when the family views the service providers as getting in the way of what they believe would be helpful. I had similar thoughts as Grace surrounding common goals. I really appreciated the exploratory questions surrounding the impact psychosis has had on the family system. These questions made me curious if inquiring about who is shouldering the burden and taking responsibility for decision making, and validating the frustration of having different perspectives of the service provides, would be an avenue to develop shared goals with that family member. If there is some way to get on the same page of the person who is carrying the family stress, I wonder if that would shift the family’s reluctance and hesitancy to listening to psychoeducation and suggestions. That being said, I recognize it is not easy to work with so many moving parts of a system and sometimes families continue to feel resistant despite best efforts.