Reply To: Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams

Home – NEW Forums Module 4 – Client and Family Education Fall 2023 Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams Reply To: Overcoming friction with Families and Care Teams

Hi Kade and Grace,

I have also found that medication and medication compliance are often a challenge with many clients and families, in my practice I have experienced having clients cease taking medication, or lower their dosages, only to then experience a return in symptoms and hospitalizations – some of my clients sadly had to experience this multiple times over several years, before they understood how effective medication is as a tool in their treatment and care plan. As Grace mentioned in her post I have found transparency to be important with clients and families, and often find myself working to provide as much information and support as I can, while trying to balance their goals and choices with the care teams’ treatment planning. Having case management conferences in which you can discuss and explore the client and their families experience, goals and values (of which this type of questionnaire could certainly be helpful) helps us as a care team understand the needs and goals of our clients. At times these do not align and we do our best to still provide as much support and care as the client and family are willing and able to engage in. Repairing trust in the system is difficult and may not be possible, at least not for one clinician to do in an immediate way, but I do think you can do your own repair with the client and family by centering their goals (even if those do not align with the care teams’) for example if your client chooses to take themselves off medication, you can support that by giving them the information they need about what can happen (what signs and symptoms to watch for), and having regular follow-up appointments or check-ins to gauge impact or changes (and hopefully help them address any psychosis/depression/mania symptoms before they become worse and require hospitalization and/or certification).

Angela