Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Home – NEW Forums Module 2 – Care for Early Psychosis Fall 2023 What challenges have you experienced when involving families? Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Hello Jasmine and Leanne,
Yes, it is always a balancing act on what we can share/disclose and what we cannot. As we know, and Michele has mentioned, learning how to have client and family feel trust can be established regarding their belief they can be supported by us; that we actually have something of benefit to offer them. In the context of privacy and confidentiality, this can involve, I find, having family be informed of the reason why may not be able to share information about the client, hear are the reasons why, and that I would like to share information but can’t as this time. Client’s throughout the recovery process client’ s will sometimes change/update their consent forms to allow us to share information about the client. So, at the beginning if a client declines to provided consent to share information about their care, I remind distraught parents about this, they are often reassured by this and know they can, generally still reach out to our team for support regardless of the client’s consent and see how we can help.
I do have a client that would often ‘bounce’ back and forth to adding and withdrawing consent to disclose information to his parents. They live with their parents and would get in intermittent arguments about what client believed was the right decision for his care (involved some semi-delusional themes about medication and that their parents forcing them to be on their medication) Their parents appear to care very much about their grown child but have a history of their child displaying very verbally aggressive behaviour towards them that made the mother especially, feel unsafe. So the parents were really concerned at times about their safety and not being able to know what the current plan and treatment that was happening with the client. I was feeling pressure from the client to make sure I don’t disclose anything to the parents “especially my mother”, and helping the parents feel safe and supported in a sea of unknowns regarding their grown child. I eventually was able to have deeper conversations with the client that appeared to help them see the value and benefit of the parents being a part of his support team, and that he could still feel he had control, autonomy, including withdrawing consent again if desired.