Reply To: Challenges of Care with COVID-19

Hello Grace,
Your post acts as a good reminder for me even though the bulk of the pandemic is over (fingers crossed) that it’s effect can still linger and disrupt or change their behaviour today. I worked as a nurse on an inpatient psychiatric unit during the pandemic. Some patients there were admitted with a dominant anxiety-based delusion about how COVID-19 could be transmitted. Early on when the there was less knowledge about how transmission occurred it was understandable for this person to be so distraught and confused to the point of believing that he could catch it from almost anything and anywhere. This may be a more extreme example of how someone reacted to the early and middle days of the pandemic but still a real belief and experience for someone that could’ve happened even if there was no pandemic. The client found it helpful to at least have people there (well masked) to support him and listen to him during this time. With this EPI course I was happy to see the 2-Com checklist (among others) as another tool I can use with client’s to help with difficult conversations and a visual cue/guide during interviews. The 2-COM could’ve been very helpful with this anxious client.

Personally it helps me to have a visual support for many situations and think this would be helpful to use in many situations. It is something a client could also take home with them and complete on their own time and space if initially, or any time, they weren’t feeling comfortable to engage with myself, their parents, psychiatrist, counsellor, and other support in their life; this guarded and reluctant client example has happened many times so it would be helpful to have another tool to help gather data and learn about the client’s current status. It can be a good conversation starter to some tough topics. Even though these assessment tools are only one tool/avenue to use to understand and engage with a client, it is always helpful to have these as another facet to which connecting to, and supporting, a person.