Reply To: Challenges of Care with COVID-19

Hi Grace,

I agree that the COVID-19 pandemic has greatly changed our ways of connecting with our clients. In my experience this has often shifted clients away from attending in office appointments, as they will often choose outreach (going out to meet them where they are at) or online (virtual methods). This has advantages for those who attending in-person was a barrier for, as I find some clients more open and engaging in those sessions (and increased attendance rates) and some disadvantages too – some clients will be less engaged than when they had to come into the office – and I too wonder about whether this isolation is an impact of the pandemic and/or mental health or both! I have found some client self-assessment tools helpful, especially during the intake and assessment phase when you are starting with a newer client, however, when it is with a client I have worked with for some time I find that we get into our own pattern of a check-in/self-assessment, and I no longer will use assessment tools (unless perhaps we are updating depression or anxiety scales). I have not used the 2-Com before, and on review I could see how it could be helpful for the client and therapist to begin sessions (I think of assessment tools as ‘conduits’ to discussion). In my office many practitioners still use the FIT (Feedback-Informed Treatment) tool, which has a beginning of session check-in and then an end of session assessment of the therapist’s efficacy in the session (beginning of session, client self assesses and at end of session assesses how the session was for them) – I find some therapists really like it and others do not (too many reasons to unpack for this post).