Reply To: Cultural/ Spiritual Family Beliefs

Hi Katy, thank you for your post. This is something I have been thinking a lot about as well. I’m a new MSW counselor with E.P.I., so I have more questions than answers at this point.

Amber, thank you for sharing your example. I would love to learn more about comforting figures people experience in their hallucinations, and how this can mitigate distressing hallucinations and enhance self-efficacy. Also, I wonder if this individual and their family would have held the same perspective if the youth experienced distressing hallucinations. This is a very interesting case study.

Amber, you pose an excellent question – a question I see as related to stigma, attitude toward mental “illness”, and influence on stress, symptoms, and prognosis. A few months ago, I began slowly collecting research on various cultural perspectives of psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar, and alike “disorders”. It is hard to find time in my schedule to do this research, but I hope to bring some of this into future posts.

How our practice might shift if we pre-emptively engage in cross-cultural learning, expanding the way we view these “disorders” and our clients?