Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Home – NEW Forums Module 2 – Care for Early Psychosis Fall 2023 What challenges have you experienced when involving families? Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Hi Jasmin,
I have struggled many times with clients who don’t want their families having any information or involvement in their care. I think it’s important to have these discussions with each client. Perhaps they don’t want to involve their family but maybe they have a friend who they trust and give you permission to share with. I understand it must be difficult and frustrating for families who want information and can’t get it. I will sometimes mitigate this by saying that I can’t share certain information without consent from the client/patient but am willing to hear and document any concerns they would like to share. I do share with family members that there are limits to confidentiality stating that safety trumps confidentiality (ie. threats of self-harm or when other’s safe could be at risk). I think a lot of it comes down to the way in which you tell people that you can’t share. You can explain it with respectfully and empathize with their concern. When I worked on the inpatient unit I would sometimes tell a family member to ask the client themselves for the information they are asking.