Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Home – NEW Forums Module 2 – Care for Early Psychosis Fall 2023 What challenges have you experienced when involving families? Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Hi all!

Thank you for all of your posts on this topic. It has caused some thought provoking opportunities for me!
I’m new to EPI, but will be working as a family therapist. One of the things that has stood out to me is the challenges of confidentiality, and trying to respect EPI client rights/ wishes. While I think that is important, I think also that having a client with zero family involvement would be a rarity. Even if the client does not permit their family to have access to any of their confidential information (diagnosis, medication, etc), there is still a great deal of support that can be offered. Working with families and providing psychoeducation about psychosis in general (not specific to any particular diagnosis), providing emotional support for them during this time, as well as helping them make a plan to support specific symptoms that they themselves have identified in their loved one (and thus not based on any client disclosure) are ways that I can see interacting with families and strengthening the family unit while still honoring confidentiality.