Reply To: Family Involvement

I am pretty new to the EPI field, but gathering from the readings the benefits of involving family in a clients care plan could really benefit long term in relapse prevention and overall recovery. This could include their ability monitor side effects and symptoms, promote recovery in adl’s, prevent relapse and have additional supports to help with engagement and socialization. If families are involved with client’s life, it adds a familiar, trusted and comfortable support to engage with.
Additionally there would be challenges if a client did not want their family involved in their care plan and recovery. This challenge would cause you as the care team to limit information sharing and protect the privacy and confidentiality of the client you are supporting.
To overcome these challenges you could set boundaries with the families or specific family members and simply state that “due to confidentiality policies and the safety of the client, it’s not up to me to share information specific to them to you”. If a family member is persistent, I think as youth care worker myself I would refer them to the family therapist or counselling, and nurse in charge. A client’s personal information is theirs to share, if they choose to.
Personally being newer to the field the only challenges that I have come across to far have been dealing with protective family members or family members whose views I do not share. At the end of the day, it’s my job to put the client first and cater to their needs.