Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Home – NEW Forums Module 2 – Care for Early Psychosis Fall 2023 What challenges have you experienced when involving families? Reply To: What challenges have you experienced when involving families?

Hi Grace,
I appreciate that you pointed out that although we know family involvement can be incredibly beneficial for the client’s recovery, at the end of the day, the client is our client and should be the one driving their treatment plan and be at the centre of their care. You talk about youth specifically in your post. I work in adult mental health services so don’t have experience working with youth, in particular, but have faced similar challenges when young adults do not want their family involved in their care. It is definitely a fine balance between providing family members with general enough education/information so that they don’t feel completely shut out, and ensuring to uphold client confidentiality. Sometimes I’ve found spending a bit more time explaining to the client that they can determine which information is shared and not shared can help open up some lines of communication a bit more, or revisiting confidentiality and Circle of Care with the client as they come further along in their recovery, sometimes they change their mind as they gain more insight. But sometimes they just don’t want anything shared with their family and, like you said, that is their right and we need to be cautious of not pushing it too far so as to harm our own relationship with the client, I think.