Home – NEW Forums Module 6 – Comorbidity & Relapse Spring 2023 Motivational Interviewing and Harm Reduction Reply To: Motivational Interviewing and Harm Reduction

I agree with the responses already posted, especially the importance of developing therapeutic rapport. Creating a space where the client feels comfortable discussing the substance use is the first step in harm reduction, i work my best to gauge my clients understanding of substance use with psychosis and meet them where they are at. In EPI as we know, we recommend absence although that is not always possible, it is important to relay the risks to clients but also provide them with autonomy within their life and their choices. Substance use is not always linear and learning what using substances is like from a clients perspective i find has been the most helpful with informing my practice, it helps provide clinicians a lens into their clients life and demonstrates to clients that their support team does have an interest in learning from them and working alongside.